Thursday, November 18, 2010

Review #1: Kamelot - Poetry For the Poisoned

Artist: Kamelot
Album: Poetry For the Poisoned (2010)
Genre: Power Metal
Length: 14 tracks / 50:03


My first review! And I'll start this blog of reviews with my latest album purchase. Now I've been a fan of Kamelot because of the only other two albums of their's I have heard: Epica and The Black Halo; the two parts of the Epica concept albums. However, fan or not, I will try to remain as unbiased and fair as possible.

Anyway, the album starts off well. Like seriously. Every song has a decent, to really good, intro. Unfortunately, more often than not, the verses, nor the choruses, can't always keep up with the intros and fall below the expectations given from the intros. However, it's not like it's a bad album; it's far from it. I was able to listen to every song without feeling an uncontrollable urge to skip a song (although if I were to replay it, I possibly would). And that is something that is rare in today's music.. although something I find frequently happening in my ever growing collection of discs. The solos are heavy, the synths are buzzing back and forth, and that oh so lovely double kick pedal is working like mad, as always. This is a great album and band for those who want to foray into the realm of metal, or concept albums (via the mini, 4-song concept "Poetry For the Poisoned").

Now in MY opinion, yes, I'd pick this album up, and have, because Kamelot is a great band. They know how to tell a good story, and have the right mix of rock and metal to have a unique sound I enjoy. And, yes, these guys are great to start off with in introducing someone to metal. I mean, sure, they may not sound the greatest here, nor will they wow every person in existence with any songs, but they wowed me enough to enjoy this album.

TREVOR'S FAVOURITE SONG: Once Upon a Time.
To be honest, it's rare that the LAST song on an album is the one that wows me, but this is one of the rare exceptions. The opening starts off with eerie synthesizers before pounding out the double  kick pedal that reminds me a  LOT of songs from the Epica saga. Especially when the lyrics start and the singer Roy Khan croons in a way that is very reminiscent of his portrayal of the character Mephisto from the saga. And adding in some bias from there, mixed with a good solo and an excellent, catchy chorus make this my choice for my favourite.

Recommended songs:
If Tomorrow Came [Track 2]
Parts I-IV of Poetry For the Poisoned [Tracks 10-13]
Once Upon a Time [Track 14]

Final grade: 7.6/10 | B-
Worth the few songs, but unless you're into Kamelot, or this genre, don't buy the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment