Monday, November 29, 2010

Review #4: DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage

Artist: DragonForce
Album: Inhuman Rampage (2006)
Genre: Speed metal
Length: 8 tracks / 56:02 (Special edition contains 9 tracks / 1:02:24)
Yeah, that's right. DragonForce. You either love them or you hate them. I love them. Also, let me go on record right now by stating: I LIKED THEM BEFORE GUITAR HERO 3! I heard Through the Fire and Flames a week before it came out, and I didn't even know it was on Guitar Hero until months after. So take that! The former sextet from all over the world (New Zealand, Hong Kong, Scotland, France, Ukraine, and South Africa, if I remember correctly) hit mainstream success with this album much in part to Guitar Hero 3. Was it worth it?

I'm going to be honest, even though this is a long album, this review went by quick as I've had each song practically memorized as I've heard them so much since 2008 when I first downloaded the songs (I used to be one of them.. then my computer got a virus) and again when I got them all back by buying the CD. Now I'm going to sound like a hypocrite again, because in my last review, I mentioned how it'd be nice if I got a few more songs like the good ones. Well, in this album's case, I got it. I swear, this album went by like continuous 20 minute blurbs, with a 7 minute awesome song in the middle. 3 minute solos, double kick all over the place in the same patterns, lyrics all talking about how they're going to war for their land to go kick someone's rear. It's a good album, but the repetition really gets to the listener. There are slight variations, and the songs are all well executed, but when a song doesn't even have a mention of it's title in the whole song, I get lost. This is not one of the better works of DragonForce so don't let this review and Guitar Hero finalize your opinion of these guys.

Now for my thing. I can easily love this album because of the solos and kick pedals (I'm an avid air guitarist and air drummer), but it's the fact that they are so PREDICTABLE in this album that turns me off from liking it as much as I do. I mean the songs I like, I love. I'll be riffing like a madman, and bound to be looking like one as well, but it won't happen for every song on here. Funny thing though, is despite the repetition, I do have specific favourites that I'll listen to above any others on the album. In fact, that's why I like having it... that, and it completes my discography. Also, I really want to know how they come up with their titles for their albums, as well half their songs... that has got to be some sweet stuff they ingest...

TREVOR'S FAVOURITE: Through the Fire and Flames
How many people called this. Yep, every single reader of mine who's heard the album should have. Mainly because of "First Song Syndrome" and Guitar Hero. Now before you ask, "First Song Syndrome" is my term for when you first hear a song from any band, and it's the VERY first song you've EVER heard by them. Chances are, it'll become your favourite because of that fact. Case in point, myself and this song. From the wicked intro, to the captivating lyrics, and the insane solos, and double kick madness, this song forever holds a place in my heart. And no, I did not play Guitar Hero 3 until July of 2008, well after it was released. I never even TOUCHED Guitar Hero until I had well over 100 plays of this song on my iPod. So take that theory and cram it.

RECOMMENDED SONGS:
Through the Fire and Flames [Track 1]
Body Breakdown [Track 5]
Flame of Youth [Track 7]
*Borderline recommendation(s)*
Operation Ground and Pound [Track 4]

Final grade: 6.8 | C
Get the songs alone. Unless you want an hourlong metalfest that never ends until the album stops, by all means pick this up, but this is really only good for the few songs.

1 comment:

  1. WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE A GH3 FAN BOY.

    Nah actually I gotta agree with this review, except which song I'd recommend :D

    I agree with TTFAF as it's easily one of the best songs on the album, but how can you forget Storming The Burning Fields? It's easily better than TTFAF. It's also one of the few songs that doesn't have their generic drum line to often.

    But are Body Breakdown and Flame Of Youth really on this album?

    (I have listened to them it's just, they're not really to big of standouts x.x)

    ReplyDelete